Kew Terrace – an Italianate architectural concept – was completed in 1849 by the architect John Thomas Rochead (1814-1878), arguably the third most famous (and prolific) of Glasgow’s eminent architects. His works include the Venetian style Grosvenor Terrace, the wonderful Wallace Monument, the urbane Western Club, Northpark House (formerly the BBC Headquarters on Queen Margaret Drive) and numerous highly regarded churches. His impact on the quality and character of this part of Great Western Road – Grosvenor Terrace, Kew Terrace and Buckingham Terrace – is immense. For more on Rochead, go to Wikipedia.org and scottisharchitecture.org.uk
The Terrace is classed as B-Listed by Historic Environment Scotland, Building No 32539. It is described thus:
The map below, by J W Lowry, shows the stage of development of the west end around 1863. It appears that Kew Terrace pre-dates Grosvenor Terrace (completed 1855 and A Listed) by a few years.
Below is a photograph from the early 1890s taken from the Kelvinside Estate Book (1894) – courtesy of George Browning. This shows the road connection between the Terrace and Great Western Road (note the tramlines and the absence of traffic). Note the position of the Pillars and the elegant railings – later harvested for the war effort – and the sparse lighting. The road looks quite mucky, hence the boot scrapers still outside some houses.
This image shows the exquisite railway station subsequently a venue for “tea dances” and later, sadly, burnt down.
The Terrace in 1948 : Some of the facades had been painted over the stone work. Note the small trees.